Saturday, November 14, 2009

Will stargazer lilies survive in full sun in a planter box?

I live in an apartment on the second floor, i have a nice size porch, but i get full sun all day. I would like to have some flowers in planter boxes, but i'm not sure what will thrive, stargazer lilies are my favorite, but I was also thinking peonies, daisies...any suggestions? Any flowers you would recommend

Will stargazer lilies survive in full sun in a planter box?
Stargazer lilies would probably do Ok this year in a box if you planted plants and not new bulbs. The thing is though, they'll only bloom the once and be done and you'll be left with boxes that just have a leafy stalk, which you have to leave alone until it dies back on its own, if you ever want the bulbs to bloom again. Also, if you're somewhere cold the bulbs might not survive the frost in a box. Peonies absolutely cannot be planted in a box. Period. Daisies, eh, I wouldn't do it. I hope you won't take offense, but I'm going to assume you know pretty much nothing about gardening and just want some pretty flowers. There's nothing wrong with that, it's how most of us fanatics started anyway. So I'm going to give you some suggestions for tough, happy annuals that will look pretty all summer as long as you keep them watered. You'll be amazed at how quickly containers can dry out. I would go to a garden center and ask for their annual section and just buy bedding plants, it's fast and easy and for a few containers it doesn't have to cost much at all. Here are some plants that like sun and living in containers and will bloom all summer long:





Petunia


Snapdragon


Zinnia


Marigold


Nasturtium


Alyssum


Salvia


Moss Rose


Verbena


Ageratum


Gazania


Dianthus


Celosia


Sweet potato vine





Her's a link to a site where you can look up these plants and see pictures:





http://www.virtualplanttags.com/suite/?c...





If you plant things that have different shapes together in each box it will look the best. Either that or just a mass of one plant, but I like to combine in containers, I think it makes them more interesting.


Good luck, and remember to have fun with it!
Reply:I won't recommend any, It's a personal choice. The plants you have selected are all very tall perennials. I would pick low to medium height annuals.


No comments:

Post a Comment